Lilypie

Friday, September 11, 2009

Anniversary?

When I think of the word anniversary I think of happiness and love. But today's anniversary brings tears to my eyes as I remember my life 8 years ago today. September 11, 2001 is a day NO ONE will ever forget!

I for one have VIVID memories of that day. I was in A & P 1 class at Amarillo College listening to a lecture from Professor Dutton when my phone started to vibrate. My mom was calling. I ignored it. Again zzzzzzzzz it was my mom calling, again I ignored it. After all, I was in class. A 3rd time my phone rang, again my mom.

The lady setting to my left said "You may want to answer it, it might be important." Professor Dutton heard our commotion, we were interrupting his lecture.

He asked, "Is there a problem ladies?"

Again the lady to my left said "Her mom is calling, she has called 3 times, it might be an emergency and she should answer it."

Professor Dutton said "I agree."

The class fell quiet as I returned my moms call. She was just short of frantic. "Where are you? Are you ok? The World Trade Center just got hit! Pantex is on high alert! Go straight to Nana and Papa's house!"

"The World Trade Center was just hit by airplanes!" I tell the rest of the class, as they all pulled our their phones Professor Dutton dismissed us.

"Valerie go straight to Nana and Papa's house, don't go anywhere else!" Mom repeats.

"Ok mom I'm heading there now. I love you!" I said as a million things ran through my mind. What does this mean? What is going to happen? I didn't know much about Pantex which is located in Amarillo except that they made nuclear bombs or parts of them, I wasn't for sure. My dad used to work there along with several of my other family members, my uncles and cousins. I was scared!

So I drove straight to Nana and Papa's house where I was living at this time. Papa, of course, had the news on and we all watched in shear terror as it unfolded before our very eyes on the television screen. That day many people lost their lives, many people lost their loved ones and we all, as Americans, cried.

Today, on the 8th Anniversary of that day, I take a moment to pause and thank GOD for each day! I thank GOD for the blessings in my life which we all tend to take for granted at one time or another. I also Pray for all the people remembering today as the day they lost someone they loved. I pray the Lord gives them peace to make it through the day, and strength to continue to move on. And I thank GOD for this country we live in and all the troops out there fighting for our country and our freedom! Thank you Lord for your many blessings, Thank you for our life, our liberty, and Your LOVE!

Teach me how to live, O LORD. Lead me along the right path, for my enemies are waiting for me.

Psalm 27:11

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Thank You For Making Me Proud, We are all extremely Blessed, and for those who lost their lives we OWE them a MOMENT OF PRAYER, FOR THOSE WHO WERE LOST AND THE LOVED ONES THEY LEFT BEHIND!! GOD BLESS AMERICA AND GOD BLESS US ALL!! ALL MY LOVE MOM/MIMI